No one wants to be the victim of a pickpocket, especially while travelling.
But unfortunately, pickpockets are everywhere, especially in crowded tourist areas. They’re experts at quickly and stealthily stealing your belongings, and before you know it, your wallet, phone or passport is gone.
So how can you avoid being pickpocketed while travelling? Here are a few tips:
- Be aware of your surroundings. Pay attention to who is around you and what they’re doing. If you see someone acting suspiciously, move away from them.
- Keep your belongings close to you. If you’re carrying a purse or backpack, wear it in front of you. And don’t put your phone or camera in your back pocket – pickpockets are experts at quickly stealing things from back pockets.
- Be especially careful in crowded places. Pickpockets often operate in busy tourist areas, on public transportation and at events and festivals. If you’re in a crowded place, keep your belongings close to you and be aware of your surroundings.
- Don’t carry all your valuables with you. If you can, leave your passport and extra cash in your hotel safe and only carry what you need for the day. That way, if you do get pickpocketed, you won’t lose everything.
- Be cautious of strangers. If someone approaches you and asks for directions or help, be wary. Many pickpockets work in teams, and while one distracts you, the other will steal your belongings.
- Trust your gut. If something doesn’t feel right, it probably isn’t. If you have a bad feeling about someone or something, move away from the situation.
- Keep your hands free. If you can, carry your belongings in a backpack or cross-body bag so you can keep your hands free. That way, you can better keep an eye on your belongings and be more aware of your surroundings.
- Be vigilant when using ATMs. Pickpockets often target people who are using ATMs, so be extra cautious when withdrawing cash. Be aware of your surroundings, keep your belongings close to you, and be sure to shield the keypad when you enter your PIN.
- Invest in a money belt. A money belt is a small, hidden pouch that you wear around your waist under your clothes. It’s a great way to keep your valuables close to you and out of sight.
- Keep your valuables hidden. If you can, keep your valuables hidden from view. For example, wear a jacket with pockets that zip or button close, or carry a bag that has a flap or zipper that covers the contents.
By following these tips, you can help protect yourself from pickpockets and have a safer and more enjoyable trip.
Also, don’t forget to arrange travel insurance before you go, just in case!
Need a travel insurance quote? Click here to get one online or give us a call on 1300 819 888.